Your (Rookie) Partner in Wine - Larmandier Bernier

Because of Easter activities this week's wine review is a bit late. Those of you who are following my instagram already know that we are currently in Chamonix as we came here to celebrate Easter with family and friends in the mountains. I have spent my time here mostly on skiing and relaxing and hadn't had time to write anything. However now, when the lamb is in marinade waiting to be grilled and our daughter is having a nap after an active morning outdoors, I finally have a moment to sit down and write a post of my recommendation of the champagne of this spring.



This tip might come little late for Easter festives but luckily during spring and summer there are many great reasons (excuses) to celebrate with the bubbly. And let me assure you that this specific bottle is the bottle you have been looking for for your special occasions.   

Larmandier-Bernier 

Larmandier-Bernier champagne house was only established in 1971. It is a fairly new house but both families Larmandier and Bernier have long history in champagne region. Larmandier-Bernier is rather small house which has only fifteen hectares of grapes in five different villages. Those villages Cramant, Chouilly, Oger, Avize and Vertus are however some of the finest villages in the champagne region. 

The Estate turned into biodynamic viticulture in 1999. Pierre Larmandier, who is managing the house, wants to produce world class wines that represent the terroir the most natural way. The house is using very minimal levels of dosage, in order to get the purest idea of the terroir into the bottle. Even if the sweetness levels of champagne has risen in the last couple of decades, the Larmandier- Bernier wines will never have more than five grams of sugar per liter. 

Vieille Vigne du Levant 2009

The champagne won't give you much on the nose, the scents you can expose are very mild or non existing. However the bubbles are very fascinating when they are slowly moving upwards like in a slow motion film. Color is green yellowish, which in my mind is one of the best colors I have seen in champagne.



Once you get over the fact that it doesn't smell much and you start focusing on the palate you will immediately notice that this champagne is something else. I must admit that when I was shopping  this champagne from our local retailer Mille & Zim, I was already carrying a bottle of Ruinart with me to the cashier when the owner of the shop recommended me to buy this bottle instead. I am very happy that he did. 

The palate is so soft, it feels like a breeze of wind in Santorini while watching sunset. I felt I spotted hints of pears, but I cannot be absolutely sure as this champagne is so complex and refined that it is better that I only admire it rather than trying to explain it. What I can say though is that it is very creamy, like liquid candy although not sweet. The champagne has only two grams of sugar per liter, so it sure is extra brut, which brings up interesting combination with its creaminess. Might sound confusing, but even more so, you should try it yourself!

Verdict: Buy as much as your bank account allows. Drink now or store.

Happy Easter to my readers!

Kommentit

Tämän blogin suosituimmat tekstit

Your (Rookie) Partner-in-Wine – Salon 1999

Ja Manafaru - A Hidden Gem in the North of Maldives

Your (rookie) Partner-In-Wine 2014 – Sarget Chateau Gruaud Larose